Skip to content

    13th Annual Asphalt Pavement Industry Survey on Recycled Materials and Warm-Mix Asphalt Usage

    The results of the asphalt pavement industry survey for the 2022 construction season show that asphalt mixture producers have a strong record of employing sustainable practices and continue to increase their use of recycled materials and warm-mix asphalt (WMA).

    The objective of this survey, first conducted for the 2009 and 2010 construction seasons, was to quantify the use of recycled materials, primarily RAP and RAS, as well as the use of WMA technologies by the asphalt pavement industry.

    IS138 front page


    Highlight features & benefits

    • Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement: Asphalt mixture producers remain the country’s most diligent recyclers, with more than 93 percent of asphalt mixture reclaimed from old asphalt pavements being put back to use in new asphalt pavements and the remaining 7 percent being used in other civil engineering applications, such as unbound aggregate bases. 
    • Reclaimed Asphalt Shingles: The total estimated amount of RAS stockpiled nationwide at the end of the 2022 construction season was about 1.43 million tons, a 26 percent increase from 2021. 
    • Warm-Mix Asphalt Technologies: Mixtures produced with WMA technologies made up 39.6 percent of the total estimated asphalt mixture market in 2022. About 59.4 percent (103.9 million tons) of these mixtures were produced with a temperature reduction of at least 10°F.
    A shared goal of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA) is to support and promote sustainable practices, such as incorporation of recycled materials in pavement mixtures and the use of warm-mix asphalt (WMA) technologies.

    J. Richard Willis, Vice President, Engineering, Research, & Technology

    Complete the form to access the report